Thursday, April 20, 2006

Liar!

Monday I was really feeling the effects of my cold and wasn't sure that I would be going to work the next day. I told my manager this information and explained that I would send him an email if I wasn't going to make it into the office.

"Ok, so you'll work from home?"
"No, my vpn doesn't work." VPN = Virtual Private Network - it makes it so I can work from home as if I were in the office. Super convenient, as you can imagine. Not so convenient when it doesn't work.
"Ok. So why don't you send me a text message if you can't come in. Just save my mobile number in your phone."
"Well, actually, I can't text message from my phone. It doesn't work. I'll just send you an email if I can't come in."
"Ok. If you want to send an email from your personal email. That's fine."
"Ok. Thanks."

I'm not sure he believe me that my text message doesn't work on my phone, but it really doesn't; trust me, it is really annoying.

Tuesday I ended up going to work and had a one on one with him. In the meeting he asked about my vpn and how long it hasn't worked.
"Since I started."
"Oh. Well, you know, there is something else, the dial-up, go to this Web site... Do you need to write this down?"
"Did you say 'dial-up'?"
"Yes."
"So, I need dial-up to use it?"
"Yes."
"I don't have a home phone. I have cable internet — and therefore no need for a home phone line."
"You don't have a home phone?"
"No."

I know he didn't believe me on that one.

I am probably the most low-tech techy one will ever meet. It's true. I just don't see the need for excess. Many of my peers find this befuddling, and that's quite alright by me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home