Thursday, May 19, 2005

Nice Things Said About ME Today

Today at work I actually accomplished something! It was wonderful! I was double checking something in the lab to make sure it actually worked when MyBoss came up to me to see how things were going. I told him I had a surprise and he should accompany me back to my office. I then showed him what I had (finally) accomplished. He was really pleased. I was really excited because it is the second thing that I have really done at work, and I want to be a contributing team member, rather than just a tap on resources.

Later today we had a mandatory all-hands quarterly review meeting (don't worry, it was exactly as riveting as it sounds). During said meeting MyBoss had to introduce me to the whole group, which amounted to about 500 people. I told him to be nice. What he said was rather flattering, and I'm not super sure how accurate. He said (I'd say this isn't just to toot my own horn, but I'm not going to lie...), "And then, there is Granola Girl (go ahead and stand up), she joined us in March. She's a super security hacker, and we're really excited to have her on the team. She's a great asset. Also, we're working on doing blah blah blah, and she's has lots of experience in that area." Niceness, eh? Anyway, not sure how/when he got the impression that I'm a security h4x0r, but, whatever!

Later, I was at the movies with my team and their significant others, and the person I brought -- more on that saga later -- (yeah, BigNameCompany bought two showings of StarWars for us!!!!).
    Before I can continue I must describe the person about whom I am going to be relaying something he said, not that it's vital, but I have yet to mention him, and it's about time he got some back history (and a name) here... This man used to work on my team (before I started), but was promoted to a developer position, so we work together, but we're not on the same core team. Also, he eats lunch with us most days, so he's really a part of the team, even though he's not. Got it? Didn't think so. Anyway, in addition to this he has a distinctly German name, even though he's third or fourth generation American. That's notable because I'm going to call him GermanGuy. Yeah, I'm uber creative. Build a bridge and get over it.
So, GermanGuy, another guy (who likes to eat a lot of heavy meat and teases me that I don't, thus his name shall be Carnivore) and his wife, myself, and the person I brought with me were sitting on a row, thusly (--- is the spot saved for GermanGuy's wife, who had yet to join us):

tpIb, Me, --- , GG, C'sw, C

After a bit I heard GermanGuy say to Carnivore wife, "Yeah, she's our diamond in the rough. The very rough!" I turned, curious what he was talking about, and inquired. "You," he said, "You're our diamond among the rough." (Let's pause for a moment and enjoy the sentiment, rather than the direct interpretation of that phrase, because, if we take it too literally, he's telling everyone that I am dirty, rough, and ugly, but underneath it all -- beautiful and valuable. Yeah, let's just pretend he said what he meant which was: I'm a beauty mixed among the rough men, yeah, let's.) I smiled and thanked him. Carnivore then reassured his wife that I manage to hold my own. "What do you mean?" I asked innocently, "I'm a wilting flower!" "Yeah! Right!" Came the reply from somewhere.

So, today we've learned that not only am a "super security h4x0r" (google it, mom, I'm not going to define that for you unless you ask nicely), but I'm also beautiful. Can you see why I like going to work? The great thing is, they wouldn't say those things unless they meant them. Which makes the comments even more meaningful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home