Monday, May 09, 2005

Strategy

On Sunday I suddenly got worried that I was going to catch the proverbial "it" from MyBoss as a result of Saturday's antics. I got so nervous, in fact, that I contemplated taking the day off. Finally, I decided that I would go to work and tell him what happened, and face the fallout like the grown-up I'm pretending to be. That, or just let him come to me. Either one.

A little before 9 am he came tearing by my office, clearly late for some meeting or another. I didn't address it then. By 11:30 I was wondering if I could manage to go the whole day and not have to face him, or my "security breach."

At 11:45 I left to take a long lunch. On my way out the door of the building I ran into one of the security thugs (used here, loosely) who busted me on Saturday. I didn't recognize him, but I was sure he was one of them when he said, "Oh, it's you again." "Yes," I replied, "and this time, I have my own card!" "Good," he said, and I left him standing there as I exited the other side of the revolving door.

So far, so good. Due to errands I had to run during that hour I didn't have to face MyBoss over lunch, *whew*.

Around 1:15 I was back at work and sauntering down the hall. MyBoss walked up, looking like he had something on his mind. "Oh, no," I thought. "He got the email." "Hey, Granola, did OfficeNeighbor give you your laptop back?" (MyBoss was using my laptop to do some work, and apparently OfficeNeighbor -- who never showed up to work today -- had taken it back to give to me, but has yet to.) "Nope." "Ok, thanks."

Wow, I narrowly escaped that one! Now, I just had to make it to 5.

2pm rolled around and I remembered the weekly team meetings we have. I was sure I could slip in and slip out and not have to deal with it. Unless, he made a general, "Hey, guys, just so you know..." announcement. I got there before he, and when he showed up, he took the seat next to me. "Here it comes," I thought, as we waited for some other people to show up. Nope. Maybe he was going to wait until a less public moment. Yet, as the meeting continued every time he'd move to the next item of business, I was sure it was going to be that dreaded general announcement. The meeting ended. Nothing. He was out the door before I. No comments, no emails, no reprimand. Nothing. At. All! Whooo hooo!

I'll probably get it tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home