Friday, May 06, 2005

Punctuality Is An Option

Last semester I took a business lecture class. As part of the class (predictably) we had guest speakers come and present their business and tips for success every class period. The class was worth 1 credit, and was two hours long, so we met once every other week. There were a few attendance rules for class -- we had to attend 80% of the lectures, could be no more than five minutes late, and could not leave early. Apparently, some people failed to grasp the concept of punctuality, and how vital it is in the business world.

One day, near the end of the semester, I was milling about in the hallway outside of the class room waiting for the previous class to vacate. A nice enough seeming girl struck up a conversation with me. During the course of the conversation she started complaining about the attendance policy, specifically, the punctuality portion. She could not understand how we could be graded on punctuality. I shrugged and said I fully support being graded on punctuality, after all, "this is a business class, and punctuality is a vital skill in the business world." I didn't add, but thought to myself, it's pretty much a vital life skill.

She whined a bit more then said, "See, I'm an anthropology major. Punctuality is an option. They'd much rather we show up late with something intelligent to contribute than show up on time with nothing to say."

With a twinge of sarcasm I replied, "I'm a Computer Science major. Personal hygiene is an option. That doesn't mean that we're all ok with people never showering. Some things are just rude and disrespectful to those around you."

I think she missed the point. I never did talk to her again to be sure she got it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home