Tuesday, April 19, 2005

NewJob-centric

I was just glancing over recent blog entries, and realized how NewJob-centric they have been, of late. Don't worry, this post isn't going to change that theme.

Last week I was talking to MyBoss and RayOfSunshine about why I was hired. I jokingly said it was because they needed a token minority on the team, and I was it. That launched a whole discussion, including how you can't tell in an interview if someone can code or not. Then MyBoss said that he goes mostly on intuition, and how he feels the person in question is going to work with the team. Then he said, "Actually, we were like, 'Yes! We found someone who can argue with RayOfSunshine! Hire her!'" We all laughed, but deep down we also all know that I do hold my own with him quite well.

Then, today MyBoss and MyTeamLead (I think that's what he is to me...) stopped by my office and asked me to help out with something. Then, they said, "Actually, we were going to go grab a Coke first. Do you want to come?" I replied that I didn't drink Coke, but sure, I'd come for the company, and to get some hot water for my herbal tea. MyBoss was all appoligetic that he had offered me caffeine. --sometimes I really love Utah-- I just smiled, and said, "Actually, I don't drink soda, I just have to be different." MyTeamLead commented that that was a good thing, we needed someone different on the team, someone who could would stand up to RayOfSunshine and balance him out. We all laughed, then MyBoss, still laughing, said, "The way you two go at it! It's funny. You just go after him!" I kind of get the feeling that people usually cower in his presence, which is silly. RayOfSunshine is a really nice guy, he is just super opinionated as well. And, he doesn't exactly back down about it, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home