Saturday, April 16, 2005

Your Personality Proceeds You

It was quitting time all over the corporate world, and instead of going home I was standing around talking with two of my coworkers. Well, one guy on my team, and another guy who works on the same floor as we.

The conversation had lasted all of five minutes when the man I didn't know said to me, "I don't believe we've ever been formally introduced." I thought to myself -- I didn't think we had been informally introduced, either. I smiled and said, "I'm Granola!" and extended my hand. He took it and said, "I'm TokenGayGuy." (Ok, he didn't say that, but my gay-dar was going off like nobody's business, and I can't really be bothered to think up good blog name for him.)

Then he said, "I know who you are, your personality proceeds you." I smiled and mockingly freaked out, "What!?! I've been talked about? What do you guys do, stand around the water cooler gossiping?" (For the record, we don't have a water cooler, so gossip usually happens around the hot coca machine/ping pong table.)

My team member -- we shall call him RayOfSunshine, because he's not -- then asked how many girls I'd seen on the floor in the past three weeks. Including the administrative assistants, and a project manager, the total is five. Out of 150. I suppose a new girl might bear mentioning. Ok, fine, I concede the point, but is my personality proceeding me a good thing? I'm going to pretend that it is, thank you very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home