Sunday, April 17, 2005

It's GranolA, Thank You Very Much

At lunch last week MyBoss asked me if anyone ever called me 'Granoly.' With out missing a beat I replied, "Not if they want to live to see tomorrow." "Glad I asked!" He said with a smile. Someone else (I think it may have been RayOfSunshine) asked what happened if they did, "I sic Bruno on them." He didn't push the matter.

Which leads me to this: do many other people with names that are occasionally shortened get that question. I mean, David, Michael, and all those aside, do girls with shorten-able names get asked that. I can see some girl names getting shortened, most specifically, not the ones where the new ending is an 'i', 'ie', or 'y.' Why do people think that I would want my name shortened to some brain-dead sounding name. When I introduce myself, if I wanted to go by 'Granoly' I'd say, "Hi, my name is 'Granoly'." or something similar. However, I want to go by 'Granola' so I introduce myself that way.

I think this may just be a personal prejudice on my part. When I think of girls whose names end with an 'i', 'ie' or a 'y' I immediately start wondering about the aptitude of said individual. Generally, people, generally. There are some names that work, Angie, for example. Cindi, however, (generally) does not. Those are not names you give your female child if you don't want her to grow up to be a bimbette, or a gum-smacking receptionist. Names given to future high powered women simply shouldn't end with the 'ee!' sound. No, they should end with a solid sound, 'a' being the most common sound; but 'n' is also do-able. (I think I may have just alienated my entire reading audience, including Mumsy and my sisters: Sissi and Sissie)

So, for heavens sake, people! When naming your girl child think up what ever you want to call her, and then turn it into a stuffy potentially Wall Street butt-kicking name. You can always call her 'Sherri' for short.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home