Saturday, May 14, 2005

On Being Rich

Two thoughts in one entry. I know you're excited!

(a) My roommate's fiance and I were joking around the other night -- the result of which had me hollering (in a friendly fashion) at him about some "atrocity" he had done. He hollered right back, "You've changed a lot ever since you got rich, Granola!"

(2) Today I went house hunting up in Lehi. Yeah, I'm buying a house, sometime soon! W00t! Anyway, I went in my comfy, "it's Saturday, and I feel no need to impress anyone" clothes, which include the afore mentioned Boston Tee (someday I'll get around to linking to that post for you), jeans, and flip-flops. The first model home I walked into I asked the woman if I could take a look around. "Sure!" She said. "It's always fun to look at homes, even if you're not looking to buy one!" I smiled, "Actually, I am looking to buy one." "Great!" I went looking around and came back to talk to her some more. As we talked I mentioned my home town and she asked what brought me to Utah. The following conversation ensued. Italicized comments are the unspoken exchange/what we each were thinking.

"BYU." Hi, I'm a stereotypical Mormon.

"Oh, and what's keeping you here?" I didn't notice a wedding ring. Perhaps I didn't look fast enough, or are you engaged? Or, maybe just too poor to move out of here?

"I work for BigNameCompany." Yeah, not married, or engaged, just a member of the workforce. Doing my best to contribute to the GNP.

"Oh? What do you do?" Wow! You're not married or engaged, just a member of the workforce!

"I'm a programmer." Did I mention that I'm brilliant?

"Oh! So, you're really staying." $$ -- So, you're not wearing that because you can't afford anything else, you're wearing that because you can.

"Yeah." Yeah. I love being "rich" and throwing off your sizing up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home