Friday, April 21, 2006

men, Men, MEN!

Today I got to work and sent out an email to the guy who is borrowing the book I bought so I could lend it to him. We've been having these silly little email exchanges this week. Wednesday he promised me he was going to make some progress on the book, so today I thought I would ask. Heck, it's the only thing I really share with him enough to justify emailing him about, and a girl's got to make do with what she's got. Anyway, so he replied that he hadn't. But it was more than that. His email read (roughly, maybe I'll post it here later):

::sits in shameful silence::

Actually, I was going to, but then my furniture got delivered last night and I spent 3 hours putting it all together and another 2 rearranging rooms.

As an incentive I'll pay you $5 on Monday if I'm not finished with it.

Or maybe $1 a day after Monday that I'm not finished with it, I haven't decided.

I replied with my stream of conscious as I read it:
Oh! Mostly I just want you to enjoy reading it as much as I have. Don't feel bad that you haven't finished, yet.

Furniture! I'm so jealous! I wish I had furniture!

Money... I should lend you books more often.

I said some other funny/witty things, but that's the gist.

I felt sooo clever.

Then, I got up to grab something off the printer and when I returned there was a piece of paper sitting on my desk that hadn't been there before. I looked at it and saw a note written in the margin:

Enjoy -
CuteGayGuy =)

I then took a closer look at what he left me: There was a rock band in the mid 80's who had a major hit song entitled "Granola." About two weeks ago I was wearing their shirt and we had a long conversation about the band and the song. The paper on my desk was a photocopy of an article from some music anthology book that happened to be about said band, and their hit song, Granola. Obviously something he had to extend a bit of effort to find. And, totally sweet!

After that, I popped into BrittishGirl's office (that she shares with the two guys on my team) to ask her something. There was this amazing aftershave/cologne smell in the air, so I asked the single guy if it was his cologne.
"No, I don't wear cologne."
"Aftershave."
"No, I don't use aftershave."
"Smelly deodorant?"
"No!"
"You don't wear deodorant? Sick!"
We both laughed, and that was the end of that.

Later I was at lunch with BritishGirl (who is actually South African, but currently lives in the UK and is visiting for work). She said (out of the blue), "Ok, so the hot project manager's cologne smells so good!"

"Oh? That was his? I was teasing your office mate about it."

"No. It's the hot project manager's." He truly is "yummy" (to use one of her words).

The conversation moved on, and I was telling her about the emails I was exchanging with BookGuy and she asked who I was talking about. She said, "Oh? Is it the guy with the glasses that's always over at your desk?"

"ProjectManager? No!!" (Who is different from the hot project manager. I'd have been all giddy if the hot project manager and I were exchanging silly flirty emails.)

We chatted about BookGuy for a while, then I told her about CuteGayGuy's note. She thought that it was really sweet. Then she started teasing me that he likes me. She's not convinced that he's gay. She thinks maybe he bats for both teams. Uh... no, I'm pretty sure he's gay (my gaydar is practically infallible).

We grabbed out lunches and headed back up stairs to the lunch room. CuteGayGuy was there and we chatted about his gift. I thanked him for it and he said it was from a book he had at home, and he "saw it and was, like, oh my --d!" and so he photocopied it for me.

I laughed and said, "I really like that it was all folded up and in your back pocket on your way into work."

"No, it was folded up and in the pocket of my carry-all. My 'man bag.'" How does she not think he's gay? "And sat next to me on my way into work."

Lunch finished and we headed back to work. BritishGirl continued to tease me about CuteGayGuy.

Back at my desk I went back to work. Later I had to run to a meeting with ProjectManager. The meeting went well, and at the end I jokingly said, "Well, that was fun. We should do it again, sometime."

"Yeah, we should. But not working."

"Sounds perfect!" Hey, I'd have meetings all day if I didn't have to work!

"You want to do lunch next week? Maybe Friday?"

"Sure. Sounds good."

"Great. I'll send you an invite."

As I made my way back to my desk the proverbial light bulb lit up: I was just asked out on a lunch date by my Project Manager! I sat down and immediately checked my calendar. As a quick aside, we use Outlook Calendar (yes, I know. It's not OpenSource, but I don't have a choice) and anyone has access to anyone else's calendar if they want. It makes it really easy to schedule meetings and such. We use it all the time, and I have so many meetings that I have to keep it updated, or I'll never get any work done. The reason I was checking it now, was that earlier in the day when he scheduled our meeting for this afternoon he asked what day was better for me, Monday or Friday and I said Friday, Monday is packed. His reply? Great, I'll check your calendar and schedule it. You're not going to be surprised at what I'm about to tell you, but I'm going to anyway, Friday is the only day next week that I don't have a million things running into and around my lunch hour. Coincidence? Strangely enough, I think not.

But wait! There's more! Act now, and we'll throw in this other completely random experience at no additional charge! That's 5 bizarre events for the price of 4!

Later, later I was sitting at my desk, diligently working away when CuteGayGuy walks up. Why is this odd? Well, for one, he sits on the other side of the building from me. For another, the hallway I sit in is a dead end. There is nothing past our area. Nothing. People often head over into the dead end, looking for a conference room, only to have their hopes dashed. The other odd thing was, he was holding a handful of manila folders. I asked him what was up, and he told me he just needed to get the folders from the supply room (which is right around the corner from me) and thought he'd drop by to say hi. (Ok, who really uses handfuls of manila envelopes anyway?) He made some crack about the paper he had given me along the lines of, "Oh, that's so cool! Where'd you find that?" etc. We chatted for a bit, during which time BritishGirl appeared and we all had a lovely chat before he headed back to his office.

When he was out of ear shot she declared (complete with silly little dance thing) "He totally likes you!"

My cube buddy got all excited and offered her agreement. I replied to both of them, "He's GAY!" my cube buddy was shocked! She hadn't thought about it, apparently, but now that I mentioned it... yeah, she could see that he might be. Might be? The guy practically has a rainbow tattooed on his forehead. He is cute, though.

So, to re-cap today's weird events:

Today I:
Teased my coworker about smelling delicious.
Sent an uber-flirty email to BookGuy
Was given a super thoughtful present from CuteGayGuy
Flirted with CuteGayGuy
Was asked on a lunch date by my project manager, and accepted; and
Had CuteGayGuy go way out of his way to stop by my desk to flirt with me.

It's got to be a conspiracy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home