Sunday, September 30, 2007

Snap

I snapped at Sweetheart yesterday. I can't take her self-involved depression any more. She gets depressed for weeks at a time and clearly wants to talk about things, but then refuses to. It's amazingly frustrating.

Yesterday after Women's Conference she was sitting next to me looking depressed and distraught. I asked her what was wrong, and she replied, "Nothing. Just life." Then, she turned her head away, tears welling up.

"Really, what's going on?" I pressed.

"Nothing. It's nothing," she replied again with the same angst-filled expression. We repeated this a couple of times, then I was done.

I understand depression. I understand life is hard. However, if you're constantly finding yourself depressed maybe you should see someone. Is her problem a chemical imbalance? Beats me. All I know is, her life isn't that bad (Yes, I realize I don't know every facet of her life. If there are things so deeply buried that she can't talk to me about them, she really should see a professional (actually, she needs to see one to deal with childhood trauma, but I doubt that's what's bothering her these days—she'd talk about that, at least.)). So, she's 25 and not married and has no prospects. Well, la-tee-freaking-da. Welcome to the club, sister. I don't mope about every little thing that isn't happening according to my ridiculous plan. Life is what happens when you're making plans. Maybe she should get off her self-involved butt and do something about whatever it is that is making her depressed. I know that she's a very emotional person, and external forces impact her far more than they impact me, however, one should be able to control the depth of impact they have on you.

"Fine." I said shortly, "If you don't want to talk to me, don't. I'm not going to sit here and make you. I'll just leave." With that, I stood up, picked up my bag, and left her sitting there by herself in her pity puddle.

You know what? Life is hard. Around every corner there is a new challenge. If you let it get you down, or control you, then you'll never grow, you'll never be truly happy. I'm sorry that whatever is depressing her is having that heavy of an impact, but I'm willing to bet that if she got out of herself things would improve dramatically. I, of all people, understand not wanting to talk about emotional turmoil, but she's not one of those people. She wants to talk about it—but she refuses to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home