Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Off the Handle

This afternoon I ended my work day on a really sour note. I have to leave the office no later than 5:08 in order to catch my bus, or I'm walking two miles home—the last mile is uphill. At 5:07 my boss called me to his office and wanted me to resolve something. The frustrating thing about this is we knew about the problem since last Thursday, and there was no pressing need to have it done tonight. LaBoca joined him at my desk as I investigated the issue. We determined that a mistake had been made and a file incorrectly updated. By checking the log, it became evident that either she or I had made the change. They wanted it fixed, and now. It could have easily waited until tomorrow morning, and at 5:18, I missed my bus home.

I was livid. And I let my boss know.

In an attempt to calm me down my boss told me to call a cab and expense it. I told him that I had no intention of calling a cab for a 2 mile ride home. Fortunately, I was able to bum a ride off of a friend.

The problem here was two fold: (1) Either LaBoca made the mistake, or (2) her shoddy directions cause me to. Either way, she always puts me on the defensive, and this little problem was no different. Having here there, hovering over my shoulder with the look of triumph in having caught me in a mistake didn't make me any happier, either.

However, I totally over reacted. And, tomorrow, I get to apologize to my boss for snapping at him. Whee... I hope crow tastes like chicken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home