Monday, April 14, 2008

Tying the Knot

Ah, but not in the way you think.

Tonight for FHE we played "battle of the sexes." Initially I refused to play because I hate those games so very very much. I did, however, hang around so I could partake of social hour afterwards. Then, at one point I heard someone say, "Have Granola do it!" I asked what they wanted me to do. "Tie a tie," came the response.

I walked to the front of the room and asked, "What kind of knot do you want? A Full Windsor or half?" I think the guys knew they were sunk at that point. And, wouldn't you know it?, I came trough. After much shock and awe from both sides of the room I went back to my place at the back wall. 10 points easily earned.

Then a question was asked and I didn't answer. The girls ended up getting it wrong and one asked a clarifying question. I answered (since none of the guys seemed as if they were going to), "Where were you 2 seconds ago?" I was asked. "I'm not playing. This game makes my inner Feminist cry." There was a call to have her cry on the outside—I turned them down.

I pipped in once more when it was apparent that no one was going to get "grout" as "the fine cement like substance used to seal cracks between tiles." This one was worth only one.

And, again, at the question, "What is a Havana?" A cigar, naturally. One more point.

Then, near the end of the competition the question of knots came up again. This time, the call was for a bowline. There was some more discussion before I put up my hand and once again returned to the front of the room, and promptly forgot whether the stationary end went above or under the working end. Lucky for me, there was some discussion as I was tying the knot, and I was able to tie it before anyone realized that I was (briefly—like for about 10 seconds) stumped. Yet another knot successfully tied, and another 10 points for the girls. All I have to say is: all those years in Girl Scouts, and knot tying competitions at jamboree, really paid off!

On my way back the the back of the room one of the guys indignantly shouted, "Hey, that's not fair! She's not even playing and the girls got 21 points from her!" Sore losers.

After the competition I was asked how I knew how to tie a tie, "doesn't everyone?" I asked, quite honestly. I find it hard to believe that people just don't know how.

Later still Sine told me, "Good job, I knew we were sunk as soon as I saw you walking up there to tie that tie. I told the guy next to me, 'Oh no, Granola ties ties better than I do!'" I smiled and laughed, but, it's true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home