Monday, June 16, 2008

The Review: A Retrospective

As you might remember my performance review was less than stellar this year. I have often said it's probably best read whilst inebriated. I'm not kidding. At least that way when it makes no sense you think it's the liquor. It turns out that my manager who gave me my review was not my manager for the majority of the year, so my other manager wrote part of it. Said previous manager was horrible (so much so that he was demoted). His review was all over the map and not particularly coherent. The manager the gave me the review was pretty glowing. There were a couple of things he didn't mention until the review that I could do to improve, but, yeah, mostly good.

At the end of the day, though, my review played out like this: I got "achieves" for performance and "needs development" for leadership skills. The crazy thing? In the paragraph right above the "leadership: needs development" rating he wrote (and, no, I'm not kidding, "she has good leadership skills." Yes, I'm serious.

When I asked him about it he hedged and didn't really give me an answer. Also, my previous manager's whole "pulling me from the interview loop" (I had to harass my then-manager for explanation) boiled down to: they decided that I wouldn't do one interview. Yeah, one. And that made it on my review. And, this was never discussed with me.

When I changed bosses in April my new manager read over my review and asked me about my ratings. I explained that he should be drunk when reading it, it is all over the map, and pretty much, if he can make sense of it, I'd love to know what it all means.

Fast forward a bit. I told my (new) boss that I was looking at other opportunities within the company, and some outside, and I would keep him abreast of what was going on. Then I went to apply for an internal position.

It turns out (and this is the fun bit!) that because of my review ratings I have to get the approval of 6 (yes, six!) people in order to change teams. I emailed the boss I was interested in working with to ask him if he would consider pursuing that. He answered, frankly, that he was in favor of the rule and wouldn't, despite my indications that the review was ridiculous. The second manager I spoke with said he wasn't even positive he was going to be able to hire, so he wasn't eager to do all that work for nothing.

So, I had to go tell my boss that I would be staying on the team. Meanwhile, I expressed my confusion about the whole leadership rating business. He said he'd research it and let me know.

Fast forward a little more. I now have a new-new boss (in case you're counting that 4 bosses in 5 months). I had a meeting with my (now) previous manager, we talked about things and the review and blah blah blah. Then I had a meeting with my current manager. We talked a bit about my review, but whatever.

Today I had a meeting with my dev manager (also known as my now-previous manager (I can't keep them straight, either)). He told me that he had managed to get to the bottom of my review. After talking with HR she told him that it had everything to do with (and here she was vague enough that he didn't know what the deal was) with the free shipping issue from last November. The free shipping issue that I was assured wouldn't impact my performance review, or pay raise, or anything. My ass.

So, I got to explain that whole mess to him. And, he encouraged me to explain it to my current manager. Oh, yeah. This thing that was supposed to have been dealt with—apparently not so much.

You know the thing that really irks me about this whole thing, though, is: it isn't mentioned anywhere in my review! I'm quite pissed about the whole issue. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do to get it resolved. Clearly, I'm going to have to have a talk with my current manager. And probably HR. Good thing she loves me (sarcasm).

And, what if I get it all sorted out? Will my review be fixed? Will I be able to transfer internally without the big hullabaloo? Will I get a better pay raise or a bonus? Or, will they all just shake their heads and say, "so sorry it happened, better luck next year." ? It's not even the money, at all. It's that this issue is still cropping up, even though I was assured it was dealt with.

Man. I effing hate my company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home