Thursday, November 13, 2008

Some Victories

Some victories call for celebration.

Some, oddly, call for sobriety.

Some, well, some are bittersweet.

Bill has been chatting with Miss Nose Bleed for the past two weeks. And, he's been really enjoying it. Last Saturday, during our long conversation I told him that I didn't want him dating her. He asked why, and I couldn't give him a solid reason. I eventually gave him a really lame reason, but it wasn't the truth.

The fact of the matter is: I had told her 20 minutes before she stuck her tongue in his mouth that I like Bill. In fact, the words were pretty clear, "MY BILL!" I announced in a playful manner. "Don't worry," she assured me, "I don't want any of that!" And yet, she kissed him anyway. I'm sorry, but (a) do you really want to date a girl who would make out with you, knowing that an acquaintance likes him? and (b) knowing that you have to get the approval of the best friend, what kind of stupid girl makes out with the guy that the best friend in question likes? Additionally, she told our mutual friend that she knows I like him, but she doesn't really know me all that well, so she didn't feel like she needed to worry about this one. Classy. Yeah, we don't know each other all that well, but, honestly, I thought better of her.

When he walked me to the car Saturday evening I said, "Really, I don't want you dating her."

"You don't want me dating anyone," he accused.

"No, Bill. Ultimately, I want you happy. But, I don't want you dating her."

He decided to pursue her anyway. And, even ask me for advice. Advice, which, I'll have you know, I gave honestly, objectively, and in an effort to actually help him. Though, I certainly wasn't going to invite him to hang out with all of us (Miss Nose Bleed included) on Saturday afternoon.

All indications, and his own admission, said that they were chatting online most evenings this week. Today over dinner he told me that he decided to just tell her that he wanted to take her to dinner this weekend, and when is she free. I didn't really see that going poorly, since my inside source said that she was very interested. Oh, and she frequently initiated their conversations.

Which is why we were both surprised when she told him no.

And that she has a lot going on right now.

So, that's that.

I know I should be happy, after all, I did get what I wanted. He's no longer going after her. But, I can't be. She hurt him. Why would you do that? My best guess is that she probably does have a lot going on, and Cyclist (her closest friend in this whole mess) says she doesn't stick with guys that long, and (one can hope) she re-evaluated and decided to not go after him because I like him. Are any of the above the case? I suppose she's the only one who really knows for sure.

I am happy.

But a bit sad.

I hope he'll be ok. He takes these things so deep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home