Thursday, October 06, 2005

Tolerance Level

I have long maintained that I hate Stupid People. You know, those people who are too dumb to function. However, until yesterday I hadn't realized that my tolerance level for stupid people had diminished as far as it has. I think it's a direct result of working with such smart people, and being spared much interaction with the morons of the world. Rest assured, Stupid People are in a completely different category from the mentally challenged.

Now, you're all wondering what I could have possibly encountered that classifies as Stupid (more so than PuppyDogsAndBows who isn't stupid so much a nuts! (oh, and Blond)).

I was at the Sonic drive through and made my request right off the menu, "I'd like a Grilled Chicken Sandwich, please?" (I was craving the protein, step off, I never said I was full vegan).

"Would you like that as a 'Toaster' or a burger?"

"Um, a Grilled Chicken Sandwich." I repeated as I searched the 'Toaster' menu for something resembling the Grilled Chicken Sandwich that was prominently displayed on (what I was soon to learn was) the burger menu.

"As a 'Toaster' or a burger?"

Well, since she's too dumb to know her own menu I conceded, "A burger." Can a grilled chicken breast really be considered a burger? I still don't know.

I went on to order the rest of my meal, then she (thankfully) read my order back to me, "So, that's a Chicken Toaster, blah blah blah."

"No." I said, perhaps a bit too shortly, "I want a Grilled Chicken Sandwich. A Buurgeer." I guess you have to dumb things down for some people.

"I'm sorry, it's six thirty." I glanced at my clock, sure enough, it was right around 6:30-ish, but that's no excuse. As I made my way to the window I realized she had meant my total was 6.30. Whoops. Silly me.

I dug around in my purse and found a $10 bill, a $1 bill, and two quarters. When I reached the window I handed these to her. She took them, closed her little window, picked her nose (I think it helps her count) then she opened the window back up, "Um," she said in that way that indicates the next thing out of her mouth was going to be inane, "Your total is $6.30. You gave me $11.50." What the Hell? Do they expect exact change these days?

Assuming that the mental calculations were too strenuous I helped her out, "So, if you give me a 5 back..." I figured I could stop holding her hand at that point. Thankfully, I was right.

"Oh! You're right!" she exclaimed happily as she punched in the amount I had given her. Then she waited for the computer to do the calculations and tell her how much to give me back, and pulled the five dollar bill out of her till.

I double checked my order before I pulled away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home