Tuesday, August 22, 2006

5 Minutes

My boss stopped by my desk yesterday afternoon and asked, "Do you have 5 minutes for me?"

"Sure," I replied, locking my computer and following him into his office. He offered me a seat, and as I sat down he closed the door. Never a good sign.

"So," he began, "we've been talking about your work and your performance..." I started getting a little worried, since he had just interrupted a rousing game of sudoku, but like I was going to 'fess up to that... Honestly, I don't know why I would be worried. So what I was playing a game. I work hard the majority of the time, everyone is entitled to a few minutes of not thinking about work. He continued, "And, I'd like to promote you." Uh, come again? Now, this is not an unwelcome event, neigh, this is a position I should have been hired into from the start. The surprise comes since I was pretty sure he had no clue about my performance, except what (little) I told him.

He told me that his boss (whom I have been working under directly for some months now) had recommended it, etc. That, honestly, made a lot more sense. Now, here's the kicker: I have to interview for the position. This means 4 hours of technical interviews, and I haven't been programming in a while. Given that this is a programming position, I had better brush up. The kicker on the kicker? Interviews have to be done by the end of this week, or I have to wait for the next promotion period, which is in six months.

Assuming all goes well, I should know before I go to London, and I'll start with my new title (and pay scale) October 1st. Here's hoping. I've got two days to prepare for my interviews! Ayyeeeee!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home