Sunday, August 20, 2006

Why I'm Going to Hell: A Primer

After getting my nose pierced I noticed very few comments from those around me, especially in the Church. It seems that most people just don't really care about a simple, fairly discreet, nose ring. It's just not that big of a deal. I offer as evidence the fact that since said piercing I have held the following callings: Sunday School teacher (twice), Institute co-chair, and FHE co-chair. For the record, these are all considered "leadership" callings, with Sunday School teacher probably being the most high profile. I've also given numerous talks, etc. Only one time have I had a Bishop say anything about it. It was actually my old bishop from a ward I no longer attended. I ran into him one day and he said, simply, "You're already beautiful, you don't need that to make you more so." No reprimands, just a simple loving word of "hey, maybe you shouldn't have."

Fast forward almost a year (can you believe that I've had this thing for almost a full year?? Wow.) — last Monday night I was at FHE talking with a guy in the ward. Out of the blue he announced, "You have something in your nose." Given that he's a computer geek, and lacking in what one may call "social skills" I figured either he was just noticing the nose ring, or I had a booger going on. I opted for door number 2. I whipped at my nose and said, "thanks."

"No," he corrected, "I meant something shiny."

"Oh, that. Yeah," I said shrugging, "I've had that for almost a year. You haven't noticed it before?"

He started talking about how they're wrong, and how we (as Mormons) shouldn't have them, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Bored with that I stopped him, "There's no scriptural reference that talks, explicitly, about nose rings."

He muttered something about Isaiah, which I countered with, "he also talks about 'costly apparel,' so I guess we should all just wear rags? The point wasn't the piercings or the jewelry or the clothing, it was pride."

He tried to bring in President Hinkley's talk on the subject, to which I countered with the 'letter of the law' argument. It's not a very solid one, but for people who are more concerned about living the letter of the law it works flawlessly. He didn't really have any response to that, but he did sputter on about how I shouldn't have it.

Frankly, things were starting to get a little uncomfortable. Bored with being told that I am going to Hell because I didn't conform perfectly to his ideology I just said, "You know what, I've never been turned down for a temple recommend after getting this. So, I guess there we are." And that, as they say, was that.

You know, I wonder sometimes why people thing they can just tell others how they should live their lives. I don't know if he understood, finally, that my nose ring (and eventual salvation or damnation) are really none of his concern, but I hope so. When all is said and done, really, if my nose ring in the deal-breaker for getting into Heaven, I'm going to be awfully surprised. What it really boils down to is this: we all sin, we all struggle, there are (different) elements of the gospel that we each don't follow. Yeah, the thing I chose not to follow is staring everyone in the face, but big deal. I'm not coming to church pregnant, or with a tattoo. And, really, who are you to judge me anyway? I do my best not to judge you, extend a sister a little of the same courtesy, if you would be so kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home