Thursday, August 10, 2006

Terrorists or Conspiracy?

At moments like this, when no one actually dies and/or gets blown to smithereens, when one has to wonder: just how much do we trust our government? On the one hand, assuming this was a valid plot foiling, I'm extremely relieve that this horrible plot was thwarted. The very thought of the tremendous loss of life that would have occurred had these terrorists been successful at what they were attempting is humbling. I could have been on one of those planes, mine could have been one of the countless lives lost. If the British government did, in deed, frustrate an attack, then they have my adoration and great thanks. I don't even mind the machine guns reappearing in our airports, and the general feeling of martial law; and I'm inclined to be understanding and forgiving of the latest carry-on luggage restrictions.

Conversely, if this is the result of a scheme masterminded by the American and British governments to re-build support at home, to cause us to renew our faith, and once, again, support them in the unlawful searches and wire tapings, as well as the sundry of other violations of privacy and the forth amendment (see below) then, I would say, they have succeeded.

There are lots of people who are sitting on both sides of this one. Mumsy, even, is talking like a loyalist. Frankly, it surprised me when she told me that she really believed this one. Call me Thomas, but I've become jaded in my old age. It seems to me that both Blair and Bush need the support at home, and scaring us into submission worked once before. Plus, stock prices have been tanking, and everyone knows that war is good for the economy.

So, is this an Atta-boy for the Feds, or another conspiracy for the theorists? Clearly, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if, in 20 years when they're in their history classes, my children don't learn about the scandals surrounding the numerous terrorist-frustrations of our present day.

As promised:
Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home