Thursday, July 20, 2006

Oh What a Tangled Web We Weave

Nanny likes one of the new boys in our ward, MapGuy (he works on maps). Tonight Nanny and I organized a group of people to go bowling, and I had strict instructions to invite him along. So, I did. No problem.

He totally wanted to come. He also wanted to car pool. With me. I said, sure, no problem.

Well, the car pooling was no problem, everything went well, except one little thing that was not on either of Nanny's nor my contingency plans — I think he may like me. :( (I haven't told her that. I don't think I will either.)

Why do I think this? Well, on the ride back a friend of his had called, so he called her back. I gave him a hard time about her being his girlfriend. He was insistent that, no, she's just a friend. Ok, no problem. But, the thing that really made me wonder was a comment that I made and his reaction to it.

See, I was talking about a guy I know who lives in the same city that MapGuy used to live in (this came up because we were talking about how MapGuy used to live in that city and I mentioned the only fact I know about the area, and how I know it). He asked what this guy does and I said, "I don't know. Some job where he's helping people, but he'll never make any money."

MapGuy's reaction? "Well, I don't make very much money at my job, but..."

"No, no, no. I didn't mean it like that. I'm not like that! I mean he's in the Peace Corpse and they told him to sign up for food stamps, since they don't pay that well..."

The conversation continued that way, but the interesting thing was that he was defending the guy for not making any money, but telling me that he wasn't sitting all that pretty, either, so if that was important to me, I would know right away. Anyway, I hope he doesn't like me, since I have my eye on someone else in the ward. Who knows‽ Life's just full of craziness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home