Thursday, October 19, 2006

Car Shopping Revisited

Lurch took me down to the car shops in Renton on Tuesday. We went to five dealerships. I can't believe how much I hate car salesmen.

Stop 1: Honda
I'm in the market for a responsible (read: boring) car, because that's what I should buy. Not what I want to buy, mind you, but what I should. We make our first stop at the Honda place.

Enter salesman1, stage right. I was tying my shoe when he walked up. He looked at the both of us, and went straight to Lurch to introduce himself. Then me. And, only after I extended my hand for the general shake. He asked Lurch what he was looking for in a car, to which Lurch replied (brownie points for this one), "Actually, I'm not looking. She is." That's pretty much all he said to the guy. Then I told him what I was looking for, and what I was not looking for. He showed me a traditional Outback right after I said, "I hate sports utility wagons." Nice. Eventually he gave up, and sent out:

Salesman2. My favorite part was when salesman2 asked me how I felt about a lease and I said, "I will never lease a vehicle." Then, he started to go into his lease spiel. I repeated myself a number of times, all of which he pointedly ignored. Finally, I let him give it to me, then I said, "That's nice. I'll never lease a vehicle."

Stop 2: Saturn
They were closed. Their cars are ok, but I'm not in love with them

Stop 3: Kia
We wandered around, looked at a lot of cars when (finally) a salesman came out to talk to us. He introduced himself to me first (!), then, when we expressed that we were just looking, he left us in peace. Gold star for the Kia dude.

Stop 4: Nissan
We were headed to Mazda, but Lurch missed the turn. We ended up looking at Xteras instead. I do like the Xtera. The salesman there was really pleasant. At one point Lurch said, "You get this, and I'll get a boat."

"Yeah, whatever!" I snorted.

The salesman didn't really say anything, he just kind of laughed, then lurch said, "Isn't this the point where you're supposed to be talking up boats?"

He laughed, "Yeah, well, she's made up her mind. But," he added conspiratorially, "it'll pull a boat no problem."

I liked him.

That was it. I bought no car, and I'm still trying to talk myself out of the jeep. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home