Thursday, February 14, 2008

Patience is a Virtue

One of my coworkers has a tenancy to get a little loud (where by 'a little' I mean: she has no volume control), and she's quite condescending.

Friday morning one of my friends dropped by my desk, visibly upset. "I feel like crap, she yelled at me, I'm going home," he announced, flipping me off vicariously for her, and walked out the door. Later, once he got home and cooled off a bit, I talked to him about it. This particular coworker is his manager, and he did something outside of normal procedure, so rather than correcting him, she yelled. Well, that's the story he told me.

That afternoon she "called me into her office" to talk about the problem, "Did he say anything to you when he left?" She wanted to know.

"Yeah, he said he didn't feel well, and that you yelled at him, and he was quite upset, so he left," I tactfully omitted the bird.

"I didn't yell at him," she claimed, defending her honor. Not that I much care, and, frankly, I believe him over her when it comes to this. Then, she started to ask me a series of tangentially related questions, which I answered, trying to not be annoyed at her tone. "Do you think this is yelling?" she asked after a bit. "Because this is exactly how I talked to him."

I told her she has a tenancy to get a bit loud, and perhaps that was the issue, I really didn't know.

The conversation dragged on, then she said, "Oh, and by the way, I've noticed a lot of people sitting around talking, and not getting any work done. You're a lead now, so..."

"You mean the afternoon brain break?" I asked, making mention to our daily 15-30 minute break that usually involves four of us: her specifically not included.

"I don't know what time it is, I never paid attention, but people have been missing a lot of deadlines and don't have a lot of time to waste."

"Well, manager or not, I fully support a 15 minute break in the afternoon. We need it to get re-focused and recharge to finish the day."

The conversation finished, and I went back to my desk. Later she stopped by and magnanimously clarified, "Just so you know, Granola, I wasn't saying I think people shouldn't take breaks. I'm find with 15 minute breaks, just limit it to that." Then she walked away.

Oh, yeah, I need patience, lots and lots of patience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home