Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cyclocross

Cyclocross:
A sport often defined as "a drinking game with a bike race thrown in for legitimacy."
Sometimes defined as "mountain biking on a road bike through an obstacle course. With beer."
Or, "think mountain biking, now, add an obstacle course where you have to get off your bike and run with it, sometimes you have to carry it."

Since mountain biking holds no great thrill for me, it shouldn't surprise you to learn that I'm thinking about getting into cyclocross.

Let me back up: 2 years ago I was contemplating road racing. Then my friends started getting into it. The simple fact of the matter is: those who race are all better than I am. And at least one of those racers has the habit of being "helpful" and giving all sorts of advice on what you can do to be better. This is not something that I want. So I shelved that thought.

But cyclocross? Now, that's something that none of my friends have gotten into (yet). At physical therapy last week (while he was bandaging up my broken foot) I asked my therapist, "So... is it a bad time to mention that I'm thinking about getting into cyclocross?

He queried me about when the season starts, and we both agreed that I wouldn't be ready for the pre-season races that start this week. But, he said, "I might regret this, but I think if you treat this season like a training season and try to stay out of the fray, you could do it. Honestly, I think road racing would be better for you, but I know you'd rather to cross."

I chuckled, "why do you say that?"

"Well, you're much less likely to get injured doing road racing, and that seems to be a requirement for what sports you pick—how likely you are to get injured."

I countered, "maybe it's not the injury I'm chasing, but the adrenaline..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home