Saturday, December 04, 2004

Crushed

I went to visit my cello this afternoon. I had decided that I needed her so deeply that I would risk rejection if I later had a change of heart. When I arrived at the music store, eagerly anticipating running my fingers over her smooth finish, and melding with her--as I have with none other--my elation was crushed as I found her missing! I inquired as to her whereabouts, and was told: She was sold. Someone else had beat me to her. Someone else's passion was greater than mine. So, now, I must search out a new love.

I dejectedly looked at other instruments, eventually settling on one to play. It played well. The sound was wonderful, and it was even a stunning piece of craftsmanship. But, it was not The One. Its natural finish could not compete with the deep burgundy which had so fully captivated me. I played. I bowed. And in the end, I walked away. For, I feel that it would be unfair to any instrument to settle. I could not bring myself to purchase such a fine piece of work, and not be passionate about it.

In actuality, my first love was less expensive, but I loved her so. This new cello, though it would serve me well, was lacking an un-price-able quality, the sheer lust I felt when I first laid eyes upon my now unattainable lover. Thus, I must continue my search, knowing that one day I shall find her. She will be better than the first, and I will love her more. I can only hope that she comes soon, for I need the fulfillment that I know only she can provide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home