Saturday, October 21, 2006

Feminist

Tonight at the concert there was a brief pause in events so the MC decided to read some jokes he had found while trying to prepare for the event. He started out like this:

"You know, there are some huge differences between men and women, and the way we define things. For example, a successful man is one who earns more money than his wife can spend, while a successful woman is one who finds such a man."

I sat through one and a half more of these, and when it became evident that it was going to continue I got up and walked out. As I was leaving I felt someone kind of brush her hand on my hair and back. I assumed it was the Relief Society President offering me support. I was right.

As I stormed out the doors I ran into Musician and (the woman I would later learn the identity of) his ex-girlfriend (more on this below). I had a hard time being nice and flirty since I was busy being offended and pissed off. I smiled and greeted them before heading over to the water table.

"Uh! I hate that!" I exclaimed to my friend. She said simply, "I know, it's stupid." I don't really know if I said more, but I doubt it. I just tried to calm myself down.

You know, in this day and age people might find that to be true for some, but to assume it applies across the board, and to treat people as if it does, simply undermines what countless women before me have fought so hard for. It makes me so mad that people still find humor in that kind of "joke."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home