Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Stupid Two Day 'Rule'

You know the rule, you believe the rule, you follow the rule, you personify the rule. You know it to be true. The problem comes when you want someone to break the rule, but they hold firm and keep the rule to the letter.

About what rule am I speaking? The "Wait Two Days' rule. You know the one, it goes like this: after a date or exchanging phone numbers or meeting or (well, let's be honest here) having any sort of interaction with a member of the opposite gender in whom you might be interested you must wait 2 days before initiating any contact. The logic behind this rule is pretty solid:

1. No, I'm not a stalker! (best shown by your ability to wait a couple of days between seeing said person)
2. Yeah, I'm interested, but not desperate (again, your ability to wait 2 days is a good indication of lack of need for instant gratification, also, goes to show how not desperate you are).
3. If you're not interested I won't seem creepy and you won't bad mouth me to all your cute friends.
4. If you're interested it'll make you squirm for a little bit wondering if I'm interested, thus showing you that I'm not desperate, and making you more excited when I do make contact.

The fatal flaw comes in at the point where you're both interested, you run in the same circle, and you have seen each other after the event which normally would call for the two day rule.

Saturday, as you may recall I went to lunch with Blue (his favorite color, he wears it all the time). I thought we had a good time, but, as I mentioned, he was off to parts unknown on Monday. I saw him at church on Sunday (of course) then at his farewell shindig that evening. Monday morning he departed.

I had heard nothing from him until today. What I did hear back was a quick email in the format we exchanged all week: no salutation or sign off, just a question. Seemingly as if no time had passed at all.

Was I excited to receive this email? Oh yes. Am I a bit annoyed it took so long? Uh, yeah! Especially since I know he's checked his email a couple of times between now and then.

So, bloggers, is it the two day rule with the timer set for when he left? Or, is it the "I'm not really interested so I'll wait a while and hopefully she'll get the message" rule? You decide.

That, or I'm going to have to try the frankness route. Gah!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home