Monday, October 01, 2007

More Symphony

I don't know exactly when I became so cultured, but I sneaked up on me when I least expected it. I have two tickets to the symphony this weekend, so I decided to ask my coworker that I was slightly crushing on late last year/early this year. He's quite brilliant, and quite fun to be with. However, earlier this year he and I were out to dinner with Lurch and LittleBrother when he decided that any interest in me was overwhelmed by the silliest hangup. We were chatting about things when the subject of age came up. Once he learned how much older than he I am (3 or 4 years) he was suddenly visibly no longer interested in me. It was interesting to see, actually. Frankly I'm surprised that I can't find it. We were discussing a cartoon he watched as a child and I was surprised, as Midge used to watch it. "How old are you?" I asked. "We covered this already," he replied, giving me his age. "Why, how old are you?" I told him mine, and his face fell, immediate disinterest was seen as well as voiced when he said, "Oh. No, we haven't. I would have remembered!" Quite disappointing, actually. Anyway, we've continued talking on occasion, but not all that much.

With that in mind, I don't know why I decided to ask him to join me; but, well, I suppose I am still a bit interested in seeing if it could go anywhere.

I shot off a fairly benign, mostly safe, email asking if he was busy this weekend, and if not, I've got symphony tickets if he was interested in joining me. He replied very quickly (4 minutes later, actually, which is nigh on miraculous for him) that started, "Oh man! Great tickets!" He went on to say that he wouldn't be able to come because he was leaving early on Friday to take a long weekend in San Fransisco. No mention of a girlfriend, though. Honestly, that would have been the perfect time to say, "Thanks, but I'm leaving early to so spend a long weekend in The City with my girlfriend." That wasn't forthcoming, so I'm not certain where he stands girlfriend-wise, but at least he knows I could be asked out. I doubt he'll reciprocate, though. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home