Thursday, February 14, 2008

Then YOU Figure It Out

The annoying woman at work (I shall call her: LaBoca—Spanish for 'The Mouth', you'll remember her from such posts as this, and this) has struck again.

This week has been a scheduling nightmare. We've started a new time tracking process at work which involves a daily stand-up meeting. LaBoca wanted to make sure that everyone got to the meetings on time so, in the middle of a completely unrelated meeting, she announced, "By the way, we're going to have a pay-if-you're-late rule. You pay a dollar for every 5 minutes you're late to the meeting."

I detest negative reinforcement, especially because there's so much negativity anyway, so I said, "Can we not? I hate negative reinforcement, we're all adults, we can handle getting to meetings on time." We tabled that discussion because it had nothing to do with the meeting at hand, but after the meeting it came back to haunt me. "What do we do when people are late to the meeting?" she demanded. "We're wasting people's time, and we don't have a lot of it to waste."

"Well," I said, revisiting my earlier point, "we're all adults, let's see if we can handle it like adults. If a problem arises and people are late, then we can readdress the payment thing. But, let's try it without for a while."

"When does it become a problem, Granola? After once? Twice? A week? When does it become a problem, Granola?"

"When a pattern starts emerging. I don't know exactly when that is, but I think we shouldn't jump straight to the negative reinforcement."

"Well, when is it too much? You know what, you figure it out, Granola and tell me." With that, she stormed out. Yeah, I'll do just that. Beyotch.

This seems to be her usual methodology, getting defensive and telling people to figure it out, and in all their brilliance let her know what they've come up with. Said in her condescending tone, it's amazing she isn't more popular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home