Sunday, April 20, 2008

Evidence

There's an old saying (I think it's from C.S. Lewis, but I'm not sure) which goes something like this: "If someone were to accuse you of being Christian would there be evidence enough to convict you?"

I have a coworker who I'm pretty positive is Mormon, but I haven't asked him outright. I keep looking for little telltale signs of his Mormonism.

The biggest hint so far has been his appearance. He has short hair (like: missionary short), wears a button up everyday with the top button unbuttoned and his crewneck white undershirt sticking out the top. This is paired over nice jeans and nice (but not dress) shoes. Ah, yes, I suspected a Mormon from the first moment I met him.

Last week we were at a meeting and I was standing behind him talking quietly with a fellow coworker. TheMormon? asked what we were talking about. "You," I said. "We said something about your work performance, and also that you look like you just left Utah."

He laughed, "Yup. I also have 12 wives."

"You must be from Kanab."

We laughed. There's something about Kanab, Utah that just screams 'polygamy.' Not sure what it is, but it could have a great deal to do with the Southern border towns in Utah all having that long-lasting legacy. It's just such an easy target. It also serves well as a secret handshake. "I know about Kanab, do you?" sort of thing.

Interestingly, later that day he was struggling with some things and said 'dammit' about 3 times. Each time I kiddingly chastised him for his "foul language." Honestly, that's the only time I think I've every heard him swear. Thus, further cementing my certainty of his religion.

I want to ask him even more, now.

Ironically, I don't think he thinks that I'm Mormon, at all. I think it's the way I dress—always modestly, but never in the typical "Utah fashion." Meh. Funny how we use clothes as a gauge for culture and religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home