Thursday, February 05, 2009

Pass the Tinfoil, Please

I try to keep my paranoid rantings to myself, but ever since the US announced the new RFID passport caeds I've been thanking my lucky stars that I have 4 more years on the current passport. That, and planning on having a freak accident involving the new passport and a hammer.

Thus, I'm not terribly surprised that some hacker decided to clone the US passport.

For my lovely readers who aren't sure what all this means:
RFID - The anti-theft devices found in pretty much every major clothing store. You can walk out the door and if you have one the alarms go off. This is RFID: readable from a distance and not requiring direct contact.

US Passport cards - the size of a credit card these cards are used at Canadian and Mexican boarder crossings, so citizens don't have to lug around full-sized passports. Fitted with RFID these scared the pants off me.

What happened: Dude drove around San Fransisco scanning for RFID devices, and when he found them saved all the info. In his hunt he found some US passport cards which he then cloned.

The scary bits: Um, how insecure all of this is! Whoa!

Solution:
Card, meet Hammer. Hammer, meet card.
Also, I hear microwaving works.

As a non-destructive resort: get an RFID protectin case, or just wrap your wallet in tin foil. No, I'm not kidding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home