Sunday, June 28, 2009

Preparation

The key to any endurance event, athletes will tell you, is preparation. You don't have to be an athlete to be an athlete. You don't have to be Kenyan to run a marathon (though, apparently, being Kenyan helps you win marathons (grats to the recent winner of the Seattle marathon)), you don't even have to be in prime physical condition.

A bunch of my friends have recently trained for, and completed, a variety of marathons, triathlons, and (well, not so much trained for, but completed) century bike rides. This is quite inspiring, as very few of us are terribly athletic.

However, they trained and prepared, and accomplished their goal.

In 13 short days I set off on the most ambitious physical goal I've set for myself to date—The STP (Seattle to Portland bike ride). It's 202 miles of riding, spread over 2 days. I'm excited, I'm nervous, I'm scared, and I'm as prepared as I could possibly be. I know I'll do it. I know I'll complete the ride, that's just the way I am, once I set my mind to something, come Hell or high water, I'm going to do it, if it kills me.

This is probably not the best mindset to always be in, but it's the one that has worked for me thus far.

Wish me luck! I'm probably going to need it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous MichaelSnyder said...

You'll do fine on the STP.

For wrist soreness, do hand stretches every 15 minutes or so.
You might also try aerobars, but it is a little late for a big change like that.

If you see a ride referee on a blue Bianchi Volpe that'll probably be me.

The trick to the STP is to take it slow and steady, you don't want to get dehydrated or otherwise burn yourself out on the first day.

June 29, 2009 11:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home