Friday, October 21, 2005

Naming Conventions

In the world of programming there are all sorts of non-rules. Someone somewhere decided that doing X a certain way was a good way of doing it, and he showed it to other people who agreed, and after a time it just became a standard convention. No one knows where these rules come from, but they are (generally) good "rules" and so people stick with them. Possibly unbeknownst to you, you have all been subjected to such a rule, the method naming convention is what it is generally called. You, however, might know it as, Granola's weird name-thing. What I'm talking about is when one mashes a whole bunch of words together and capitalizes the first letter of each word, e.g. PuppyDogsAndBows. It works, and we all love it. Additionally, when referring to a sub-part of something one uses a '.' (dot). You're all familiar with dotcom, so I suppose I don't have to explain that any further. If you want more of a definition ask me and I'll detail it in the comments.

Wednesday we were sitting in a meeting looking at our product on the projector. The developer had not put in a normal name for something so we were all looking at the Web page that the user is supposed to use and seeing "Blah blah blah for NamingConvention." We laughed, and MyBoss commented that he thinks we should ship that to our customers. I "innocently" asked, "What's wrong with that? I use the java naming convention at home." Everyone laughed, and I continued with the geek joke, as he asked, "Oh, you do, do you?"

"Yeah," I smiled thinking fast, "refrigerator.TopShelf!"

GoteeBoy started laughing, and took the joke one step further by making a truth statement, "If (dishes == done) then (Granola = happy)."

"No," I corrected him, "If (dishes == done) then (Granola = did them herself)."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home