Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Questions

Well, it's official. For the first time in my life someone I know has honestly questioned my sexuality. OK then.

Last night PuppyDogsAndBows and I were talking about bulimia, and I mentioned a friend of mine from high school. Unfortunately, I made reference to her thusly, "The girl I was in love with in high school..." An old roommate of mine used to refer to this sort of emotion as a "girl crush." I wasn't really in love with my friend, but I chose to say that, I really don't know why. As soon as I said it I wished I hadn't.

"You really are gay, aren't you, Granola?"

"What? No."

"It's ok if you are. I mean, it's not ok to be gay, but, it's ok if you struggle with those feelings," she reassured me.

Uh, thanks, I think? But, "no. I like boys a whole lot too much to be gay."

"Not even just a little bit? Yes you are!"

Oh, boy. Whatever.

Today at lunch I told the guys that she had asked me if I was gay. MyBoss laughed, "Well, I'm glad she asked, I was kind of wondering myself!" We all sat around and joked about it for a bit (after I, unnecessarily, assured them that I am not), then the conversation naturally moved on.

The thing about it is, if I were gay I would feel much more comfortable "outing" myself to those guys than I would telling my roommates. I don't think that's the way it is supposed to be, but that's the way it is. However, given that I am not gay, it's not exactly an issue now, is it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home