Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Deposits

I told my roommates tonight that I took the job and am leaving. When she asked why I ended up deciding to take the job I didn't tell PuppyDogAndBows that part of the reason was to get away from her. Certainly in the end if the move were the wrong one I wouldn't do it, but her neurosis played a roll in helping me decide more quickly.

While we were talking I exclaimed that there is so much for me to do in the next three weeks, including transferring the utilities into someone else's name. I mentioned that there would be a deposit required for that. She got really upset. She said, "It's not fair that our other roommate and I are expected to come up with that kind of money in the middle of the semester just because you're leaving!"

"Well," I replied, "it wasn't fair that I had to come up with that money when we first moved in. That's not an expense that either of you ever saw."

"Well, Granola, you had the money. It wasn't really an issue for you. You made like <many> thousand dollars at BigNameCompany!"

(I didn't have the heart to tell her that her number was about 40% too low. She really has a skewed perception on money. I did, however, get annoyed.) "You can't expect me to just forfeit that money! It was an out-of-pocket expense that I had to pay."

"I'm not expecting you to forfeit it, I'm just complaining." She replied with a catch in her throat.

Frankly, I'm sorry that you're broke, honey, maybe you should practice a little thing I like to call Money Management. Oh, and Daddy will pay your deposit for you, so get over it. Lastly, the most important thing that I didn't tell her was: since I've had accounts with the utility companies for the past 5+ years (and have stellar credit), I actually didn't have to pay a deposit on the accounts at all. However, since she has terrible credit she is going to have to. There is no way on this green earth that I'm going to just leave the utilities in my name so they can save 100 bucks. Frankly, I'm not convinced that the bills would get paid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home