Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Lunch

I work in this huge depressing warehouse sort of environment. It is kind of divided into two sections, the front half is well lighted, the back half, on the other hand, isn't. Now, it's not for lack of available light, it is that way because there is one guy who doesn't like it bright. So, every morning when I get to work at 8am I turn on the light and an hour later when he finally gets to work he comes in and turns off the light. It is really annoying, but I've learned to deal with it. Basically, I don't exactly have any other option. Our boss bought us desk lamps, but they really suck, so there we are.

Today things progressed as normal. I came in and turned on the lights, 9:30 rolled around and he came in and turned them off. The guy who sits next to the window then opened the blinds and then our friend came and closed them. Perfect. Now we were sitting in darkness. Then something unusual happened, he came over and talked to my friend and I (we were in the middle of discussing nothing in particular) and informed us that he was tired of this "little game" that was being played. He has, he informed us, been working at ConsultingShop for a year and a half, and he's seen a lot of people come and go, and no one has complained, until us. He doesn't see what our issue is, see, we have desk lamps (he then proceeded to turn one of them on to make his point), if we turn them on: light!

"See," he said condescendingly, "it's not that much darker in here anyway."

"It is a bit darker," I told him.

"Yes, just a bit."

"No, darker than I'd like."

"Well, it's lighter than I'd like, so we both have to adjust."

Frankly, he's doing no adjusting. Basically, he expects me to want to sit in the dark and cater to his desires. How insulting.

Later in the afternoon my friend and I decided to go out to lunch together. Simply to get away from the monotony that is our work environment. We went to this really great place I know and just sat for an hour or so talking and, well, not being at the office. One of the things I brought up was how annoying this guy was, and possible solutions. Neither of us have any great ideas. However, I fully intend to not be sitting in the dark for the first hour of my work day.

My friend pointed out that perhaps this guy didn't want to be in the position of being the "bad guy" and thus expects us to make his life easier. I asked him what he thought I should do in the morning. His suggestion is the path I think I'm going to take — turn the light on and when grumpy comes in and starts barking at me for turning on the light I'll just tell him that he's welcome to turn it off, but I'm not going to sit in the dark for the first hour of my day waiting for him to show up, whenever he gets around to it. Yeah, that'll do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home