Thursday, December 22, 2005

Merry Christmas to ... ME!

Ok, ok. I promised myself that I wasn't going to edit my blog to tailor it to my readers. However, enough is enough. Everyone who is looking for help with their Foxconn 760GXK8MC-S audio problems, would you please just download the #$%^&*( driver like I did. The drivers can be found here.) Sheesh, people. If I have to tell you how to select your OS, you are seriously out. of. luck. On another note, if you keep hitting my page, why don't you ask me if I had the same problem? Judging from the updates I probably keep a pretty good eye on things... 10 bucks says I could have answered your question pretty satisfactorily.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion of ME!

In case you missed it, being unemployed sucks. Living off severance sucks even more. After getting my new job I kept the ol' severance in the back pocket in case I had to bail before a paycheck came along. Well, I've made it through almost 4 weeks, so it's now officially time to spend the severance. Whooo HOOOO!

I went straight to EBC computers (I believe they are local to Utah, but if you're here and know what you're doing, I highly recommend them -- the prices are unbeatable) to pick him (the cello is a girl, the computer is a boy) out.

I decided that I could get much more computer for my buck if I made it (uh, duh), so I did just that. Well, actually, I picked out the parts and the high school student we have working for us put it together for me. Mainly because I'm just that lazy!

For those of you who care (and can understand the following) this is what I've got under the hood:
Processor: AMD 64bit Sempron 2800
Mother Board: Foxconn 760GXK8MC-S 754 pin with SIS Video, 1-8xAGP, 3-PCI, SATA 5.1 Sound, and 10/100 NIC
Memory: 512MB
Video Card: eVGA Nvidia Geforce MX4000 64MB DDR
Storage: 300GB
DVD Burner
Floppy Drive (practically obsolete, but it was 8 bucks, so, why not)
450Watt PS
Ugly white case
OS: 100G XP Professional 64bit
100G OpenSUSE (installing this tonight, I think)
100G Fedora (I'm still not sure if I'll do this one, I might just make it 200 for Open SUSE)
Monitor: Acer 17" 8ms LCD
Speakers: Radio Shack, $14
Mouse: Logitec optical
Keyboard: Old, ugly, and recycled

For those of you who didn't understand that, let me put it in English for you (if you don't understand English, I'm afraid I can't help). Basically, I have a pretty cool machine. The tower is ugly white, and monumentally underimpressive, but the monitor is so sexy you'll simply overlook the boringness of the tower. By way of further explanation, my computer (sans monitor) is a short, fat, balding guy with loads of cash in the bank, an intellect that overshadows everyone, and a killer personality, complete with sense of humor and just the right amount of romance. Add the monitor, and he also has the most amazing eyes you've ever gotten lost in. His face is so striking you'll forget about male-pattern baldness and the pot-belly. And, he's all mine!

When I was picking up my computer -- parts -- I had two boxes, one for the tower and one full of the guts. As I picked it up to leave (after paying, of course) I exclaimed with all the anticipation of someone with a new toy, "It's just like CHRISTMAS!" I think the dude in the shop was convinced I was nuts. He's probably mostly right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home