Saturday, December 03, 2005

Job Satisfaction

I hate my job. It is boring and mind-numbing. Keeping that in mind I decided I needed to do something to spice it up.

Thursday I was at work and falling asleep at the boredom levels introduced by the product I was working on. As I was poking around in something trying to break it I remembered something I had read in a magazine earlier in the month. It was a very clever way to break an online store, so I though to myself, “huh, I should try that.” After I got home I headed for the bookshelf to find the magazine in question. I found it, and the article rather readily.

Friday after I got back from a job interview (more on that later) I launched my attack. The fun/sad thing is, it was way too simple. I brought the application to its knees. I showed one of the guys and he laughed, “Show that to CTO, he’ll love it!” The CTO and the CEO are the two who interviewed me. It’s a small shop, so, yeah. I waited a bit and then headed over to CTO’s office to ask him two questions. Number 1 was taken care of quickly, now it was on to #2. “Uh, so I was testing product, and in super-product (which we’re not really testing) I found the following defect. Blah blah blah. Should I log it?” He started laughing. “This I’ve got to see! Give me 10 minutes and I’ll be right out.”

He came out and I showed him, lots of laughing and congratulations ensued. Then he gave me a great compliment, “Wow!” he exclaimed, “I can’t believe we didn’t find that. But then, I guess I don’t spend a lot of time hanging out with uber-computer hackers, like you.” Nice. Then, I was directed to log it, and he would call the project manager over at the client company to let her know. He did so, and came back to tell me that she was astonished. He also gave me a gift certificate to P. F. Chang’s for (what I would later discover was) $25. Not bad, not bad at all.

As I was logging the bug I asked if I should give the developers a blow-by-blow how to recreate the problem, or simply a script kiddie type approach. He instructed me to give them the gory details. I shall later discuss the implications of that. Then, he brought over the CEO and looking like a child on Christmas morning instructed me, “Tell him what you found, tell him what you found!”

I did. CEO was in shock. I was, it is safe to say, the hero for the week.

Tragically, the development team, I’m sure, hates me, since they now have to work the weekend.

There are a handful of things that came out of this event:
1. I made the company look really good.
2. I made the development team look much worse than they have been looking already.
3. I made myself look really good, and like a good investment.
4. CEO and CTO probably went home, grateful that they gave me that 10% bump in pay I asked for, and were convinced that I am worth every penny. Which, by the way, I am.

All in all, I would say that Friday I achieved a moment of job satisfaction, but, I still hate my job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home