Saturday, November 12, 2005

Traveling Companions

I've been in Jerusalem for a week now. It has been amazing! I can hardly believe that have to go back home on Monday. What a different, yet similar, world this is. I have become so accustomed to many things that they are interesting, yet don't give me much pause. More on all of that when I try to blog my journeys once I get home.

As I have traveled with Aunt and Uncle it has been really fun to see their interactions with each other. Sometimes, however, in those quiet moments that my mind finds, I wonder what this trip would have been like had I not made this journey alone. Sometimes, when I am in great ornate, decadent churches I wonder what Mumsy would feel or notice or point out to me. The comments that we would share, the questions I would ask her, and she would, in turn, ask me. I wonder what things we could point out to, and experience with, each other. On a few occasions I have wished that she were here so that we could go out exploring with each other — and not have to worry about Aunt and Uncle and their schedules, or other things.

At other moments, frequently when Aunt and Uncle are doing something cute together, or just enjoying still being in love after 30 some-odd years, I think of ExOfNote and how the trip would have been had he joined me. He wouldn't care about the churches, undoubtedly. He might care about the amazing history lessons, but not too much. The thing he would care about the most is the culture of the people here. He likes culture, he likes to experience different cultures and meld them into who he is. Seeing Jerusalem through his eyes would be a very different experience than through Mumsy's. At those moments I often think about how we would be together. What we might say, or do; how we would interact.

Today as I was wishing, again, that he had come with me I had to stop myself. It suddenly occurred to me that though we have been broken up for almost 2 years now I still think of us in the present tense. I have yet to think of us in the past tense. I've got to figure out how to change that thinking. Perhaps that's part of my problem in getting over him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home