Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Mistaken Identity

I was at church on Sunday waiting to talk to the bishop when a girl from my ward walked by. I waved at her and she stopped, looked at me, and then said, "Is that Granola?" "Yup." She came over to chat with me, "So, I heard that you've got a new job?" "Close," I corrected her, "I lost my job!"

It's amazing how fast news travels. In thinking about it, the only people at church who knew when I left were the dorks next door, my roommates, and the bishopric (I'll allow that the head-hunter I contacted who was second counselor told the others). Given that, I know that the bishopric wouldn't just tell the whole ward, and neither would the boys, thus, my roommates must be the culprits. Nice. They also were telling people that I might be moving. What the hell? I told PuppyDogsAndBows when she asked that I would go where ever the job was, not that I was definitely moving tomorrow. I can't believe that she told people that. When I asked her later if she had told anyone that I was moving her only justification was, "Well, you said you might be..." Sweet merciful carp. And she wonders why I tell her nothing! Anyway, back to this chick.

So, this girl and I keep talking and she mentions something about not being sure if this was her ward or not. By this point I'm managed to guess that she might not be who I thought she was. The question now became: who the heck is she, how does she know me, and how do I know her??? I asked her for her address and she gave me the one of the girl whom I had originally thought she was. This is getting stranger by the minute. At that moment I had to go talk to the bishop, I told her to talk to the executive secretary and he could tell her if she was in the right place. When I got finished with the bishop I went back into the lobby, she was waiting for me. "Can I come with you to Sunday School?" "Of course! I'm teaching, so I can't sit by you, but you're more than welcome to come."

As we went to class she and I kept talking, "You talk just like your little sister, you know that?" "Really?" As we talked on she mentioned my sister so many times that I was forced to conclude that she knew her, very well. As she was sitting there I heard her introduce herself to someone else, ah hah! A clue! When the moment was right I gleaned more information, "What's your last name again?" She told me, "Oh, that's right."

After Sunday School we went to Sacrament Meeting. I introduced her to my roommate, "This is so-and-so. She's from my home.... whatever." "Yeah." The girl replied. I was hoping she'd fill in with 'ward' or 'stake' as was appropriate, she didn't. After the conclusion of the meeting I asked her, "What's your home ward, again?" This is the best question to ask, no matter what she said, I could respond, 'Ah! That's what I thought.' Her response? Her singles' ward. No, I meant your home ward. Turns out that she is in my parent's ward. Whoops! "Ah, that's what I thought. Hey, would you like a ride home?" I ended up giving her and another girl a ride home, not a big deal, I mean, come on, I drive a van!

After I dropped my (new) friend off I told the other girl that I had no clue who she was. "Well, perhaps you needed to think she was someone else." Very true.

I called my kid sister as soon as I got home, "Who is so-and-so, what's her story, and why should I know her?" She gave me the run down, from the sound of it, yes, my new friend needed a friend. Glad I could be of service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home