Thursday, December 29, 2005

Merry Christmas!

When I first started work at ConsultingShop I wasn't sure what kind of holiday vacation I was looking at. Additionally, being fairly new to the company I wasn't overly keen on asking out-right. Thus, I was completely unaware of what kind of holiday I was facing. Compound that with the fact that no one had mentioned anything I was rapidly becoming convinced that I would have no time off for the holiday. Thus, I planned nothing. Or, rather, I planned to stay here in ultra-hip Provo for my Christmas. How annoying!

On Monday or Tuesday we finally got the word that we would have the following Monday off in celebration of the holiday. That, compounded with the one whole day of vacation that I accumulate per month meant that if I really wanted, I could take two days off for Christmas. Woo-freaking-hoo. However, I headed out to the grand place we like to call "The Internet" and looked up plane tickets home. Wonderfully I found some for the normal price leaving Saturday and returning Tuesday night. That's right kids, I found a ticket home! So, like anyone would do, I bought it and then proceeded to lie to my mother about how upset I was that I wouldn't be able to make it home for Christmas. In the mean time, I mobilized the troops.

I called my older sister and asked her for advice on getting from the Air Port to my folks apartment. She had no clue. So she called our baby sister (this is a task I could have managed on my own, but she preempted me and called). Now, the thing about our baby sister is: she's the third most reliable form of communication known to mankind. By involving her I was practically guaranteed that Mumsy would find out. My kid sister, however, swore she wouldn't spill the beans (before the secret was revealed) and then she set to work calling her friends and people from Church to see who could help us out. In the end she called a friend of mine from high school. Ahh, the sweet irony is, I could have called my best friend who lives in the same city as my family, but I spaced it. So, Midge arranged a ride for me, and then left me her house key out side the front door so I could get in.

When I arrived at my parents' apartment the dog was yapping his little head off, trying desperately to warn my folks of some intruder. Mumsy and Pops were in the kitchen so they couldn't see the front door. I walked in, set my stuff in the entry way, and as I was turning around to announce my presence Mumsy commented to Pops, "It really sounds like someone is coming inside."

Then, I said, "I really didn't feel like working today." Quick aside: due to the Hell I work in, there was some discussion of me working Saturday, as it was, I had to work Friday night. Mumsy was shocked-surprised-thrilled! She ran over to me and gave me a huge hug. Yup. Merry Christmas! And, the best part is, I didn't have to get her anything!

However, we did spend Christmas day scrapbooking. I think I've "devastat[ed] my [honorary]reputation as a dude."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home