Thursday, December 22, 2005

One shady Character

It turns out that EBC Computers gives a 3% discount when you pay cash, so when I went to buy my computer I did just that. (Yes, the discount was very much worth it). As I was standing there ordering my components the SalesDude asked my name.
"Do you need it?" I asked.
"Well, if we need to contact you, in case we gave you the wrong part or something..."
"Fine," I sighed as I gave it to him.
He spelled it back to me, incorrectly. "Is it this -----?"
"Yeah. No! Wait, it's this -----. Where's my brain?" Honestly, he spelled it back so fast, and with such positiveness that I just said yes with out thinking. He looked at me like I had lost my head. Then he asked for my phone number, "I don't have a phone." Which really means, I don't want any sales calls. "But," I offered when he looked at me like I was a lying nut case, "I do have email." He didn't ask for that, instead he asked for my mailing address. "I don't have an address." You can imagine the incredulous look that one got me. So I gave in and gave him my post office address. We finished everything up and he gave me a total. I pulled a fist-full of $100 bills out of my wallet (I had priced everything online, so I knew how much it was going to run me).
"Oh," he said, "You're actually paying in cash." "Yeah." I confirmed with a smile.

After that transaction everything I said was met with a look that said, "I know you're lying to me, starting with your name, and I'm going to find out what information I think is suspect." When I signed my name (very clearly) just how I had spelled it back to him I think he got it. But, I'm not sure.

As it turns out, the next night I had to go back in to get something they had neglected to mention that I would need (a connecter between my (serial ATX) hard drive and the power supply) the SalesDude was there, but so was some new kid. The new kid helped me out and things went much more smoothly. I still think that our friend the SalesDude is convinced that I'm into some shady business and didn't want to be found out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home