Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Cat's Out of the Bag, As It Were

As it turns out, ConsultingShop's fiscal year just ended, so they were madly spending money purchasing office supplies and new computers/servers, etc. Let's ignore the fact that this is why benefits were invented, and skip straight to the part where we received three or four Fed Ex and UPS shipments yesterday. At one point the one guy that I've become friends with (our work stations — yes, that still bugs me — are right next to each other) were helping the Fed Ex guy unload his truck.

"Is there anything in there from InternetCompany?" He asked the guy. My head snapped around to face him, jaw dropping as I asked him, "What??"

"Well," he causally explained, "I always thought that if I were a delivery person the packages from InternetCompany would probably have the most interesting things in them, since they're such a huge e-commerce site. You know? Why, what's up?"

When I finally stopped laughing in relief we went a little ways off from our co-workers and I told him, "Remember how I'm taking off next Friday? Yeah, I'm interviewing with them. I was afraid that I had let that slip with out thinking about it."

"Seriously? That's cool. Good luck! Oh, and no, you didn't let it slip."

Later in the day I got a call on my cell phone. It was a scrapbooking company who was contacting me via Monster.com. They wanted to interview me. At this point, I have officially lost all self-respect. I'm interviewing with them Monday afternoon. I asked my friend how far away the city I'll be interviewing in is from Provo. Well, if it's anywhere near the company I interviewed with a few weeks ago it will take you a little under an hour to get there from here. And, if it's the kind of appointment where if you're not 5 minutes early you're late, then you really want to plan an hour." Ahh... yes, yes it is. He wished me luck. I haven't managed to humble myself enough to tell him who it is, exactly, that I'll be interviewing with.

The nice thing is, we both know that we hate our jobs and that we're looking. It's kind of nice to have someone who is not only a compatriot in misery, but also in getting the heck out! Now, if only I could find that dream job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home