Monday, August 28, 2006

Reviews

Well, it's review season here at InternetCompany (I have mentioned that, haven't I? Oh, no, wait — I've been the absentee blogger as of late). This means things in my life have been, well, review-ish. Ok, not really, but I wanted to say that.

Last week ProjectManager told me to ask my boss to use him as one of my reviewers. Turns out we get to ask for reviewers only once a year, and this go 'round ain't that once a year. Too bad, too... you can't ask for a better reviewer than the one that offers!

Additionally, I was asked by my boss to review CubeBuddy (certainly a welcome, but daunting, task — exactly how does one say "ragingly incompetent" politely?), Prego (she'll be leaving once she has the kid, so the truly terrible name will work), my boss himself, and, naturally, myself. I was asked to send the review of my boss to his boss. Five minutes after this request my boss' boss sent me an email and asked me to review my boss, Sullen (yeah, uh, the only guy on my team), and LoudTalker. Now, that's everyone on my team: CubeBuddy, Prego, Sullen, LoudTalker, and WalksSoftly (my boss). Nice. That means, I got to write a review for every single person. Lovely. It took me forever, but I finally got them done today. I assume that each of my co-workers gets to write a review for me. Who knows.

For the record, I decided the best way to say "ragingly incompetent" is: "seems to be struggling", "perhaps additional training will aid in success" and "reassign more challenging/time consuming tasks to permit additional training". If he's not too daft he'll get my meaning.

What's more, the following happened: WalksSoftly's boss went into WalksSoftly's office (yes, I know it sounds like DancesWithWolves, but it was the best I could come up with) and closed the door. I know this because my cube is right outside his office. They chatted for a while, then his boss left. Minutes later the manager of one of the development teams we support entered said office and closed the door. They have a brief discussion before he left.

It was now 5 pm. I was working later than usual because I had to watch something happen on my computer. It was just watching and waiting. Thus, when the aforementioned manager walked over to me and asked, "Will that work for you?" I happened to be at probably my worst point for being approached by a manager, i.e. I was filing my nails while watching the latest Strong Bad email. Sweet.

"Will what work for me?"

"That time."

"Uh, what time?"

"2-2:45."

"When?"

"Tomorrow. Did you not get that email? My $%^&* computer hasn't been sending lately."

"Hang on, let me check my calendar. For what?"

"For an interview."

"Oh. Yeah. Sure! Where?"

"Um, let me check..." He returned to his desk and resent it.

By the time he returned I had an appointment invite. Yeah! An interview for tomorrow for the promotion I so deserve!

Oh yeah, and ProjectManager asked me if we were still in reviews, and when I said yes told me that he was going to send a note about me to WalksSoftly and his boss.

Yes. Yes! YESSS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home