Sunday, October 29, 2006

Goes to Show

Today at Church we were talking about sanctifying ourselves to be better people and bringing ourselves closer to Christ. During our discussion on the "Sunday School answers" (go to church, read your scriptures, pray...) the teacher asked if we had time for all of these things. I raised my hand and made the following point, "I have kind of a busy life, as I'm sure we all do. However, we just need to make the time. For example, Friday night I stayed in and was up until 4 am installing a new operating system on my computer. Since I usually try to go to bed around 10, this means I lost about 6 hours of sleep. Why? Because it just came out and I find it interesting, and I was really excited for it! So we just need to make time for reading our scriptures, and doing these things because, ultimately, my eternal salvation is far more important than if I have OpenSource software of my computer." I noticed when I mentioned the installation of the new OS that one of the boys in the ward who is quite the computer nerd (and happened to be sitting a few rows in front of me) gave a thumbs up sign, and appreciated the comment a bit. (Incidentally, the eternal salvation vs OpenSource got a good laugh out of just about everyone.)

After church I was standing in the hall chatting with people when the aforementioned nerd came up and joined the conversation. Eventually people moved on to talk to others, and it was just the two of us. "Hey," he lead in, "are you seeing anyone right now?" What the crap!?!

"Uh, no." I shared, shaking my head in the negative.

"Well, in that case, can I get your number?" He asked, as he pulled his notebook out of his pocket.

"Sure." I said, slightly surprised, hoping my voice lacked the utter hesitation I was feeling. I gave it to him, then he said, "Great. Thanks. This way, when I finally get up the courage to ask you out, I'll be prepared."

I smiled, encouragingly, "Cool."

I can't believe it! When it rains it freaking pours. I'm not really interested in seeing him socially. He's a nice guy, but a little odd (helllooo did you miss the computer nerd comments?). That said, I have a rule: Always say yes to the first date. With the notable hee-bee-gee-bies caveat. Why? Isn't this unfair and leading them on? No. Here's why: (1) you never really know unless you spend some one on one time with someone away from everyone else if you're going to click — they could be the totally right person for you, but circumstances hasn't allowed that to be displayed; (2) How would I feel if someone I was interested in shot me down with out giving me the courtesy of a shot?; and (3) Asking someone out is really hard, they've managed to get up the courage to do it, striking them out when they've barely stepped to the plate is just plain wrong.

Honestly, I would say yes, and it wouldn't be a courtesy date, but I hope it takes him a little bit to get up the courage. That, and I hope Musician lights a fire under his butt and asks me out, and soon.

But really, who knew that admitting to staying in on a Friday night to install the latest Ubuntu distro was going to incite a digit request. That just goes to show: you never know what's going to work for some people. (Oh yeah, and that I'm a monstrous geek.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home