Sunday, November 19, 2006

Vapid

Yesterday while I was thinking about Nanny and Sweetheart I was allowing my stream of consciousness to drive the internal dialog. At one point I noted that, while I adore them both, their conversations are supernally vapid. Wait. I said to myself, vapid? These are your two closest friends at the moment. Can you really describe them as 'vapid'? I decided that I needed to look it up in the dictionary before labeling my friends with such a lovely term. I kept forgetting. Tonight Nanny came over and we were chatting and then my internal dialog kicked into overdrive, She really is kind of vapid, you know. It told me. She is not!, I argued back. It persisted. Finally, I said to her, “Oh! That reminds me, sorry. There was this word I needed to look up.”

“What word?” she asked.

“Vapid.” I replied typing it into dictionary.com. “Ah! Here it is!” I exclaimed, triumphant. “Vapid: ...dull or tedious...'” I read. “Yup.”

She asked me why I needed to look up the word. “Oh,” I replied casually, “I was using it to describe someone the other day and wanted to make sure I had the right definition before I used it.”

“Who?” She asked unsuspectingly.

“Just this girl I know. Her conversations are so vapid!”

“Uh. Ok.” She replied, and moved on to the next vapid point. I don't think it's a good thing when one starts mentally calling their closest friends 'vapid.' And certainly not when the name-calling is repeated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home