Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Rain, Rain

Round about 3:30 this afternoon word started flying that the weather was so bad WDOT was talking about closing the bridges across Lake Washington. Both bridges. Well, I suppose people could drive around it. Thus, the only people well and truly screwed were those either living on the Island, or who ride public transit (since there really isn't a way around the lake on public transit). Given that I fall into not one, but both of the potentially-screwed categories, I started worrying. Then, I got over my worry and started plotting.

As it turns out, Musician works downtown. He also happens to live on the other side of Lake Washington. Oh, and, lest we forget, he rides the bus. I figured, if I got stuck in Seattle at least I could have the pleasure of his company. I guess I know him well enough to know that if he were apprised of the situation early enough he probably would leave work to get home, rather than stick it out. Thus, I waited until 5 o'clock. Then I pounced. I called him up and left a message informing him that word was "they" were talking about closing the bridges, and if that happens would he be interested in sitting in a cafe with me somewhere enjoying each other's company? (I should point out that at this point I had checked WDOT's web site, so I knew the buses were going over the lake, I was just hoping.) He called me back having, apparently, not listened to my message. I explained the situation to him, and my plan. He was surprised to hear the weather was so bad. "Haven't you looked out the window today?" I asked.

"Honestly, my window is so high when I look out all I see are sky scrapers."

"Yeah, well, from my 6th floor window, only two floors above street level..." I said in a rather smart-mouthed fashion (we're on a hill... I'm on the high side of the hill. It sucks).

He laughed, "Yeah, I thought you'd like that." Then he went on to ask if he could call me right back. Sure... I said, as I watched the bus I wanted drive past.

He called back minutes later to inform me that he had checked the WDOT web site and it looked like the bridges were open and the buses were running, so he was going to try to catch one home.

"Oh! Great!" I said, trying to sound relieved, "I'll do that, too, if my bus ever comes!" We exchanged pleasantries, then hung up.

15 minutes later I was standing in a nice warm bus, at the last stop in Seattle before the bridge. My phone rang, "Girl!" He exclaimed. "Where are you? Are you on a bus?"

"Yes, I are on a bus."

"I can't get a bus home. They're all packed! They're turning people away! What bus do you take?" I hoped that he was planning on inviting himself over to my house—an invitation that would not be refused—but just before he could invite himself over a new bus pulled up, and he was able to get on. Good for him! Oh, and, nuts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home