Saturday, September 01, 2007

Contributions

I strongly resent the fact that so many in the Church believe that the whole purpose of a woman's existence is to get married, have babies, and raise a family. No matter how intelligent she may be, her responsibility still lies in the home. After all, they argue, if one woman was going to solve problem X, a man would probably have done it at about the same time, so what harm does it do to remove that burden from her. Thus freed from the need to work she can raise kids to grow up and be brilliant and contribute to society. Correction: she can raise her sons to grow up and be brilliant and contribute to society. Her daughters, on the other hand are to be raised to grow up and be mothers themselves. Where does it end? Am I the only person who notices that the only people contributing to the intellectual improvement of the world in this model are the men?! Frankly, I refuse to believe that my sole contribution to the world is my womb. I am a woman, not a breeding cow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home