Tuesday, November 06, 2007

H.R.

"Granola?" the woman on the other end of the phone said, "this is Pam from H.R. I tried to book a conference room on your floor, but they're all booked. I just wanted to ask you some questions, can you come up to my office, please?"

"Sure," I replied, confused as to what on earth could be going on. Certain it's not about any of my activities, I ran a list of infractions committed by my bosses through my head. When I arrived in her office Pam corrected my false assumptions. It was directly related to my activities.

"Tell me about the company sponsored free shipping account." she requested.

I replied as honestly and truthfully as I possibly could. At one point she asked me, "did you use this account to purchase items for anyone other than yourself?"

"Nope." I replied, pretty certain of myself.

"Whose Lurch?" She asked. Whoops. I did buy his text books—two months ago. "Oh. Lurch." I said, stalling while I thought up exactly what to say, "he's a really close friend of mine."

"Tell me more." she instructed.

"We had a sort of non-thing for a while. I bought his text books, like 3 or 4."

We wrapped up fairly quickly after that. I guess she found out what she needed to know. Wow. Go her. Busting a domestic free shipping ring! I'm so impressed with her detective work.

To be quite honest, I wonder who told her what was going on. I didn't think of it as a big deal up until I was sitting in her office getting grilled. I suppose it's wrong, but I really didn't think about it. Nor did I buy much. I can hardly wait for the fall out. Should be Wednesday or Thursday.

The strangely pathetic thing: my brain says it's not really that big of a deal, my goody-two-shoes bit is panicked and wondering if I need to start job hunting. Geeze Louise, I hope not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home