Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Entitlement

What is it that makes those on government assistance not use coupons or grocery store savings cards?

This question (in a much more verbose form) was posed on the office chatter board today. I couldn't let it rest and responded with: "The simple and cynical answer is: entitlement."

I went on to elaborate, and finished up with:

"I think it has a lot to do with getting things for no effort. People who have to earn things, or build things for themselves tend to respect or value said item (be it money, or housing) far more than those who don't. A great example is Habitat for Humanity vs. the Projects. Those who help build their own home via Habitat for Humanity (and similar projects) tend (TEND) to take far better care of their home than those living in the Projects.

"* All of that said: yes, there are exceptions to everything, and I'm certain someone has counter examples, however, as someone who knows a disproportionately large number of welfare recipients (compared to the average Amazonian) I speak from experience and observation."

Someone replied with the predicable Jack Handy quote "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Frankly, that response irks me far more than I can possibly express. Who are they to assume that because I have a well paying job that I was always that way? I believe I have addressed this very issue on the chatter board, but things change, people come and go, and rather than get in a flame war I responded with "Having spent some time during my childhood on government assistance, I've both walked a mile in their shoes, and I have the shoes to prove it."

I was then accused of being a "welfare queen." Uh.. Wha?

I've found that people have an interesting set of reactions to welfare and how those around them respond to it based on their personal experience. It looks something like this:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home