Thursday, July 03, 2008

White Water Rafting!

My ward went white water rafting on Saturday! It rocked!

At one point we hit a nice size wave (later estimates were 'about a 3'). I went flying out of the boat and despite efforts to grab a hold of either the boat or the person next to me, I ended up in the water.

As I surfaced our guide hollered at me, "Hand me your paddle! Hand me your damn paddle!!"

I tried, but was inches too short.

My option quickly became: swim through the rapid. Remembering the safety talk we received just hours before I got into the "white water swim" position: essentially, on your back, feet down stream, but above the water, head out of the water, and butt lowered. And then, I did all I could to get air when my head was out of the water.

Eventually we made it through the rapid (which was more 'one good sized wave and a bunch of rough water') and the boat came back for me. They hauled me in (very ungracefully) and we were off!

I was just as enthusiastic, but one of my boatmates later declared, "When you went in, that kind of killed it for me." Too bad, honestly, 'cause those things happen.

We had planned to make two trips down the river—with everyone going just once. I managed to get in on the first trip, in hopes of weaseling my way into a second. My wish was granted, but I had to go down in a row boat. Less fun, but still on the river.

The guide from the first trip saw me at the put-in and asked with a hint of surprise, "You're going again?"

"Hell yeah!" I replied, "Erm, I mean, 'Yeah! of course!'" The second ride wasn't as great, but I was glad to be able to go down again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home