Thursday, August 28, 2008

Indecent Proposal

It's currently 9:30. At night. I'm still working.

Correction, I am waiting for something to happen so I can hopefully work.

Today, as you can assume, has been a long day.

It all started with an email which lead to an hour long conference call. Which lead to lots and lots and lots of stress and tension in our bull pen (the area of cubes where my developers and I sit).

Around 4:00 the stress level had risen so much it was actually palpable. Our most grounded dev was the source of the majority of the tension, amazingly enough. I needed to escape, to get up, walk around, talk with someone who wasn't currently trying desperately to put out three fires, and just destress briefly.

I invited Bill to the kitchen.

When he got there I gave him a brief synopsis of what had happened, and how the stress level was simmering to a slow boil. He apologized, then in all earnestness asked, "Do you need a hug?"

"YES!!" I said with a mixture of relief and demand. Then wrapping my arms around his waist I let my head sink to his chest and could physically feel the stress seeping from me.

Or, that's what would have happened if I weren't paranoid of someone walking into the kitchen and, upon seeing us in a very comfortable embrace, assuming things were as they seemed. So, the responsible side of me said, "No, thanks. I just needed to get away."

But, it did help.

And I really did want that hug.

More importantly, what's he doing offering me hugs at the office?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home